Monday, February 21, 2011

Review: Clarity

Book: Clarity by Kim Harrington
Pages: 242 Pages
Publisher: Scholastic
Release Date: March 1, 2011
Where to Find the Author: Web Blog
Source: Publisher
Grade: 3.5 Stars
Synopsis:
When you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth?
This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats.
Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift.
And a curse.
When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case--but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother--who has supernatural gifts of his own--becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?
My Thoughts:

My first thought of this book was that the cover was beautiful. I think the girl on the front is supposed to represent Clare and it’s really pretty. That made me pretty excited to read it.  I’m sad to say that the book didn’t meet my high expectations though.

I really liked how the author started Clarity by showing the readers how Clare’s family business of reading people went. However, I didn’t like how the author told us about how the people being read thought they were fake and then showed it by having them talk about it (if that makes any sense.) There were some extra added details and while they were interesting, they weren’t necessary. 

The brother-sister relationship between Perry and Clare was how I thought most sibling relationships would be (I don’t have a brother, so I don’t know what it’s like). He was her best friend and she was his, but they still fought at times.

I also liked the mystery of the book. I would guess who the killer was and turn out to be wrong. Most of this book wasn’t predictable and that made the book more realistic to me. I also loved the hot son of the detective in the book, Gabriel. He was charming and smart, just the way I like them. 

Clarity was a fun mystery that I enjoyed reading, but I didn’t feel that connection to it. This is a good read for those who like mystery, romance, and psychics.

Grade: 3.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum