Thursday, February 17, 2011

Review: Delirium

Book: Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Pages: 441 Pages
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: February 1, 2011
Source: Bought
Grade: 4.5 Stars
Synopsis:
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.
My Thoughts:
I read and loved Before I Fall right when it came out, so you could only imagine the hopes I had for Delirium. Most of those hopes were fulfilled, but I did get a little disappointed.

Each chapter started with little quotes from The Health and Safety Handbook which was really cool. The world of Delirium is a unique one and I was awestruck with how much Lauren Oliver’s writing developed from her first book to Delirium. I really liked her MC Lena because she shared all of her feelings in the book in a way that I could relate to it. Alex was a great character too. I loved how his and Lena’s relationship started at strangers, then friends, and so forth.

The one thing that I didn’t like about Delirium was that I didn’t feel connected to it. The characters, writing, and settings were pretty amazing, but there was something missing. I just can’t put my finger on it.

I really liked reading this book and I’m totally going to get the sequel. Oliver has created a sad yet beautiful world that I want to read about over and over again. You should buy this book if you enjoy dystopian and romance.
Grade: 4.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum