Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Review: Tempest by Julie Cross

Book: Tempest by Julie Cross
Pages: 352 Pages
Genre: Science Fiction
Release Date: January 17th, 2012
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Source: Publisher
Synopsis:
The year is 2009.  Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.
That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.
Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.
But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler.  Recruit… or kill him.
Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.
My Thoughts:
Tempest was really the “first book in an epic trilogy”. However, at first I didn’t see it like that. One reason I don’t like trilogies is because they’re just like one seven hundred page book separated into three different books that come out at different times.

This book didn’t really interest me until the middle. The whole beginning was basically just telling me what was going on and introducing the characters and that Jackson could time travel. It reminded me a lot of the Time Traveler’s Wife except the main character was nineteen and the whole “jumping” thing is different. Plus, there was A LOT more action in this book. I liked that this was told from a guy’s perspective and it felt real and not like it was a girly man telling the story. I don’t like girly men; I like manly but sensitive men.

The romance in this book was interesting. The time traveling thing was the main idea of the story so the romance didn’t completely take over the book (which is really refreshing after reading so many love stories). Holly was a character that I could completely relate too and I liked how the author showed how Holly changed over the years.

I can’t say that I was completely head-over-heels for this book, but I’ll definitely be wanting to get the second book when it comes out. I believe boys and girls will like reading this book.

1 comment:

  1. I've been really interested in this book (mainly because the cover looks really cool) and you make it sound really good... even if there was a lot of boring. Anyways, great review!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum