Thursday, January 5, 2012

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Book: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
Pages: 338 Pages
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: November 15, 2011
Source: Bought
Synopsis:
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.
My Thoughts:

I decided to get Shatter Me because everyone was raving on and on about it and I had to see what the commotion was about. I liked Shatter Me, but I’m sad to say that I didn’t “LOVE IT!” like everyone else.

A unique thing about this book is that Tahereh Mafi crossed out words and sentences to describe the real feelings Juliette had. The emotion really jumped out at me and I’ve never read a book that has done something like that before.

The romance in Shatter Me was a little iffy. It felt forced and I didn’t really see anything develop between the two characters enough for them to love each other. Adam and Juliette had great chemistry, but I really wanted them to talk more or be with each other more before saying “I love you”.

I liked the plot of this story. It was very unique even though it’s a dystopian (I love dystopians but they’re getting to be like vampires-all ending up being the same story). The author incorporated what we’re doing to our delicate ecosystem now into the future of the book. It’s a dreary world where animals, plants, and people are being poisoned because they didn’t take care of the ecosystem. It’s scary to think that that could happen to us one day.

The ending was great and it seems like there’s going to be a second book and I hope there is. Although I didn’t love it, I would definitely recommend it to all my friends and readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum