Thursday, August 1, 2013

Review: Illuminate by Aimee Agresti


 Haven Terra is a brainy, shy high school outcast. But everything begins to change when she turns sixteen. Along with her best friend Dante and their quiet and brilliant classmate Lance, she is awarded a prestigious internship in the big city— Chicago—and is sent to live and work at a swanky and stylish hotel under the watchful eyes of a group of gorgeous and shockingly young-looking strangers: powerful and alluring hotel owner Aurelia Brown; her second-in-command, the dashing Lucian Grove; and their stunning but aloof staff of glamazons called The Outfit.
As Haven begins falling for Lucian, she discovers that these beautiful people are not quite what they seem. With the help of a mysterious book, she uncovers a network of secret passageways from the hotel’s jazz-age past that leads her to the heart of the evil agenda of Aurelia and company: they’re in the business of buying souls. Will they succeed in wooing Haven to join them in their recruitment efforts, or will she be able to thwart this devilish set’s plans to take the souls of her classmates on prom night at the hotel?
I was extremely excited to read this book because of the beautiful cover, but I'm sad to say this book was a big let down for me. It's one of the few books I DNF (did not finish). I got about 100 pages in and then had to quit.
The story itself was interesting, but I felt a lack of connection to the main character, Haven. She seemed a bit dull to me and I couldn't relate to her at all (other than the fact she liked to read). She was one of those characters who had been abandoned as a child and had close to no contact with her guardian. The romance in this book also didn't interest me. As I read, I could tell that insta-love was gonna happen (and I'm kinda glad I didn't stick around for that). Although Lucian was an attractive and allusive character, I didn't fall for him like I would for other YA hotties.
I really wish I could've enjoyed this book more, but it just wasn't right for me. I think that this is definitely a story that readers will either hate or love.
1.5 Stars
Source: ARCycling

4 comments:

  1. I hope your next book works out better for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've really surprised myself by how many DNF books I've had this year. And YA PNR especially has been more of a miss than hit for me lately, so I totally get this. The few non-contemps I've read have been total letdowns, I'm almost scared to try another. So you're not alone! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, too bad about this one. I have no patience with insta-love either, and connecting to the main character is very important. Hope your next read is better!

    Alise @ Readers in Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you. I tried, I really did. But I got to about 150 and that was all that I could take. It just didn't capture my attention. I think it took about 2 weeks to actually get to 150.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum