Monday, September 13, 2010

Review Five: Sphinx's Princess

Sphinx's Princess by: Esther Friesner
Pages: 288
Synopsis:
Nefertiti may be the dutiful daughter of a commoner, but her inquisitive mind often gets her into situations that are far from ordinary, like receiving secret lessons from a scribe. And she’s the kind of girl who acts first, and apologizes later whenever she witnesses injustice or cruelty. But she is also extraordinarily beautiful. And news of her striking beauty and impulsive behavior attracts the attention of her aunt, the manipulative Queen Tiye, who sees Nefertiti as an ideal pawn in her desire for power. Even though Nefertiti is taken from her beloved family and forced into a life filled with courtly intrigue and danger, her spirit and mind will not rest. She continues to challenge herself and the boundaries of ancient Egyptian society.
My Thoughts:
I haven't read any others of Friesner's books, so when I looked at the terrible reviews for her books before this, I was kinda iffy about reading it. One thing that changed my mind was the cover. Isn't this cover pretty??? Also, I love egyptian stories so why not try this one out?
I have to say, I read this one in like two sittings which is pretty good. The author obviously did her research on Egyptian times. I learned a lot of cool stuff, like that they wore wigs! Also, her main character was a magnificent girl who, I think, showed everyone that just because you're pretty, doesn't mean you can't have brains. She was smart, funny, and fun to follow. Overall, this book was pretty awesome other than the characters using now a day words. This story is awesome! I give it a B+.

-FriendlyReader

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum