Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Review: The Hate List

Book: Hate List by Jennifer Brown
Pages: 405 pages
Source: Bought
Synopsis:
Five months ago, Valerie Leftman's boyfriend, Nick, opened fire on their school cafeteria. Shot trying to stop him, Valerie inadvertently saved the life of a classmate, but was implicated in the shootings because of the list she helped create. A list of people and things she and Nick hated. The list he used to pick his targets.
Now, after a summer of seclusion, Val is forced to confront her guilt as she returns to school to complete her senior year. Haunted by the memory of the boyfriend she still loves and navigating rocky relationships with her family, former friends and the girl whose life she saved, Val must come to grips with the tragedy that took place and her role in it, in order to make amends and move on with her life.

My Thoughts:
I finished the Hate List in 2 ½ hours. The plot was really good and realistic. I felt really bad for Valerie-the main character-I mean, her boyfriend Nick was the shooter at the school and everyone blamed her for it…even her own family. Jennifer Brown really knows how to tell a story because when I was reading, I felt like I was actually there. I would have to say that this is one of my favorite books of all time. Her writing was brilliant, her characters were amazing, and the plot was totally awesome.
I do think that there should’ve been more flashbacks of her and Nick together though. I felt like Nick was sort of the main character too so he should’ve had more parts in this book.
The Hate List is a beautiful tragic story that is sure to bring people together. Pick it up right away!
Writing: 10/10
Setting: 10/10
Characters: 9/10
Plot: 10/10
Cover: 10/10
Ending: 4/5
53/55= 96% A+

1 comment:

  1. That is a difficult subject matter; kudos to the author for tackling it. The story really does sound interesting, provoking both thoughts & emotions. I still remember the day the shooting took place in Columbine. At the time, I was sitting in my AP European history class. When they made the announcement about what had just happened, we were all in utter shock & disbelief. We didn't know any of those kids in that school, but we were still hit by a wave of grief over that horrible tragedy. And the other school shootings that followed were just as heartbreaking.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum