Thursday, December 2, 2010

Review: The Summoning

Book: The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong
Pages: 390 Pages
Publisher: HarperTeen
Date Released: July 1, 2008
Source: Bought
Series: Book 1
Grade: A
Synopsis:
  After years of frequent moves following her mother’s death, Chloe Saunders’s life is finally settling down. She is attending art school, pursuing her dreams of becoming a director, making friends, meeting boys. Her biggest concern is that she’s not developing as fast as her friends are. But when puberty does hit, it brings more than hormone surges. Chloe starts seeing ghosts–everywhere, demanding her attention. After she suffers a breakdown, her devoted aunt Lauren gets her into a highly recommended group home.
  At first, Lyle House seems a pretty okay place, except for Chloe’s small problem of fearing she might be facing a lifetime of mental illness. But as she gradually gets to know the other kids at the home–charming Simon and his ominous, unsmiling brother Derek, obnoxious Tori, and Rae, who has a “thing” for fire–Chloe begins to realize that there is something that binds them all together, and it isn’t your usual “problem kid” behaviour. And together they discover that Lyle House is not your usual group home either…
My Thoughts:

   I read this book last year and liked it. This year (now that I understand so much more about books) I LOVE it. I am seriously kicking myself for not rereading it sooner.
   I loved how Chloe was spirited (no pun intended) and smart. She seemed to always know what to do in high stressed situations and always had a comeback.  Seeing her develop was interesting too. In the beginning of the book, she’s just your average theater student waiting for something big to happen and in the end…boom! She’s a kick butt necromancer who’s not afraid to get her hands dirty. Derek and Simon were great characters too with Derek being the not so great looking jerk who can be an amazing hot gentleman and Simon being the hot Asian dude with a plan. My favorite? Derek.
   The plot and writing itself is amazing. Kelley knows how to put someone on the edge of their seats and man, I was begging for more at the end (good thing I own the series.) I got a lot of the book and related to a bunch of the characters which was really great because that way, I could imagine myself being Chloe.
  The Summoning is definitely a book you want to have, paranormal junkie or not. 5 stars! Now I’m off to flip through the second book, The Awakening! *disappears*

Grade: A/ *****

2 comments:

  1. Oh, it is one of my all time favorite books.. well series for that matter. I love the plot, the characters, the dialog, the writing.. just everything about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting such a great review! I've been really looking forward to reading this one. I actually picked up one of the books in the series thinking it was the first, but it turned out to be the third. Another trip to the bookstore is in order!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum