Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Review: Curse of the Shamra

Book: Curse of the Shamra by Barry Hoffman
Pages: 325 Pages
Release Date: February 6th, 2009
Publisher: Edge Books
Source: Wunderkind PR
Synopsis:
When the peaceful and isolated land of the Shamra is invaded and its people enslaved, a young Shamra girl named Dara must lead a ragtag resistance to defeat the enemy. But even as she fights the invaders, Dara grapples with self-doubt and is criticized by her own people for being outspoken and different.
Venturing into uncharted territory to seek allies, Dara encounters unusual creatures and dangerous lands.  But is her rebellious spirit enough to help her overcome the patriarchal and oppressive rules of her own people and convince them that she is the only hope the Shamra have to regain their freedom?
My Thoughts:
The Curse of the Shamra is a book that shows how girls can fight and win just as great as guys. I'm having my little sisters read it because I thought that Dara was a really good role model in this book. I think that it's great for all ages and has lots of life lessons-perfect for little siblings or your children.

It was a little slow at first, but after Dara's village was attacked, the story kicked off at high speeds. Her adventures were fun and exciting and I never knew what was going to happen next. The writing is splendid and the characters are wonderful and easy to relate to (even if they are a different species than us).

Overall Curse of the Shamra was a fun read and I highly recommend it for younger elementary early middle school readers. I think that even adults would enjoy it too. I really liked it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum