Monday, July 25, 2011

Review: Want to go Private? by Sarah Darer Littman

Book: Want to Go Private? by Sarah Darer Littman
Pages: 336 Pages
Release Date: August 1st, 2011
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Source: Publisher
Synopsis:
Abby and Luke chat online. They've never met. But they are going to. Soon.
Abby is starting high school—it should be exciting, so why doesn't she care? Everyone tells her to "make an effort," but why can't she just be herself? Abby quickly feels like she's losing a grip on her once-happy life. The only thing she cares about anymore is talking to Luke, a guy she met online, who understands. It feels dangerous and yet good to chat with Luke—he is her secret, and she's his. Then Luke asks her to meet him, and she does. But Luke isn't who he says he is. When Abby goes missing, everyone is left to put together the pieces. If they don't, they'll never see Abby again.
My Thoughts:
I’ve been looking forward to this book for a long time. I don’t know why, but I love reading these kinds of books. I read Sarah Darer Littman’s other book Life, After awhile ago and I didn’t really like it, but I really wanted to see if she could pull off writing a story like this.

The story line was really good. I liked how Sarah showed that even though these teens get lectured over and over about internet safety, they can still fall into a web of lies made by predators. I felt bad for Abby and it was stupid of her to believe “Luke”, but I could understand too-it’s the first year of high school and her best friend already “left” her for another friend.

There was only one thing that annoyed me the most in this book. There were a lot of OMG’s and WTF’s in places where there shouldn’t have been. For example, Abby’s sister would say OMG in a sentence when she was talking about something serious. It really got on my nerves.

Want To Go Private? was a sad story, but a story that had to be told. Online predators are growing more and more and lots of people are falling for their lies. I’m glad that Sarah Darer Littman wrote this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum