Monday, September 12, 2011

Review: Blood Wounds by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Book: Blood Wounds by Susan Beth Pfeffer
Pages: 256 Pages
Release Date: September 12, 2011
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Source: Publisher
Synopsis:
Willa is lucky: She has a loving blended family that gets along. Not all families are so fortunate. But when a bloody crime takes place hundreds of miles away, it has an explosive effect on Willa’s peaceful life. The estranged father she hardly remembers has murdered his new wife and children, and is headed east toward Willa and her mother.
Under police protection, Willa discovers that her mother has harbored secrets that are threatening to boil over. Has everything Willa believed about herself been a lie? As Willa sets out to untangle the mysteries of her past, she keeps her own secret—one that has the potential to tear her family apart.
My Thoughts:

I really liked Susan Beth Pfeffer’s Life as We Knew It series so I was excited when I got Blood Wounds in the mail. Let me say this: they are really different from each other (duh).

I think that I was expecting most of this book to be about Willa and her mom hiding from her dad, but that was only a couple chapters of the book. Mostly, it was about Willa trying to see what her life would’ve been like if she and her mom would’ve stayed with her abusive father.

Susan Beth Pfeffer’s writing always makes me a bit sad (in a good way). Reading about how Willa’s father killed his wife and three little girls was pretty depressing. I liked that it felt almost real and that there was a lot of feeling coming from all the characters.

The only thing I have to complain about is Willa and her mother’s thoughts about Jack and his daughters. I mean, it isn’t til the end when they confront them about his daughters getting all this stuff from their rich mother and getting to go to fancy events and Willa doesn’t. It isn’t until the money comes around which I thought was very funny.

I overall enjoyed Blood Wounds and I look forward to Pfeffer’s next novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum