Monday, February 27, 2012

Review: Deadly by Julie Chibbaro

Book: Deadly by Julie Chibbaro
Pages: 304 Pages
Release Date: February 22nd, 2011
Source: Teen Book Scene
Publisher: Atheneum
Synopsis:
A mysterious outbreak of typhoid fever is sweeping New York.
Could the city’s future rest with its most unlikely scientist?
If Prudence Galewski is ever going to get out of Mrs. Browning’s esteemed School for Girls, she must demonstrate her refinement and charm by securing a job appropriate for a young lady. But Prudence isn’t like the other girls. She is fascinated by how the human body works and why it fails.
With a stroke of luck, she lands a position in a laboratory, where she is swept into an investigation of the fever bound to change medical history. Prudence quickly learns that an inquiry of this proportion is not confined to the lab. From ritzy mansions to shady bars and rundown tenements, she explores every potential cause of the disease. But there’s no answer in sight—until the volatile Mary Mallon emerges. Dubbed “Typhoid Mary” by the press, Mary is an Irish immigrant who has worked as a cook in every home the fever has ravaged. Strangely, though, she hasn’t been sick a day in her life. Is the accusation against her an act of discrimination? Or is she the first clue in a new scientific discovery?
Prudence is determined to find out. In a time when science is for men, she’ll have to prove to the city, and to herself, that she can help solve one of the greatest medical mysteries of the twentieth century.
My Thoughts:
I really like reading books set when girls didn't really have the opportunity to have "man" work. I loved seeing Prudence grow and become smarter each page. I also loved that she didn't let the men who were rooting for her to fail knock her down either.

The story idea is not a new one, but Chibbaro's writing makes it seem like a whole new story. I liked that there were illustrations in this novel showing little maps or drawings. It's always nice to see a picture or two in a chapter book.

Something I didn't like about this book was that I didn't always want to read it. At some points I had to stop because I got bored or had more important things to do. However, I did like the characters and how I could relate to them even though we're from seperate time lines.

Deadly was a great medical story that showed me how hard it was for women back in the day. Through her struggles, Prudence managed to become a better smarter person and I loved reading her story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum