Thursday, August 9, 2012

Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu



 In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.
When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.
As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

Glitch was one of my most anticipated reads this year, however I’m sad to say that it didn’t live up to its expectations. There were many issues I had with Glitch, but it was overall a fairly good story.

The book starts out with Zoe “glitching”; thinking her own thoughts, having emotions. It was very interesting to read about her experiencing the different emotions like happiness and fear. When she would be linked back in though, I couldn’t tell the difference between a glitch and being linked in. Her emotions were in the words either way.

The world of Glitch is basically underground which I find is common for most dystopia (it’s either underground, in a dome, etc). I couldn’t really get how they survived down there considering the air above was “poisoned” (at least that’s what the leaders told people). The citizens living under ground were “logical” and had no friends and no relationships with their families. The babies are made in test tubes and the link keeps everyone numb.

Zoe’s character was very dependent and it felt like she couldn’t do anything for herself. She trusted people too much and when she did notice things happening she was very blasé about it. Her telekinesis power was cool, but it would just “happen” and she wouldn’t have to do anything. One thing I did like about Zoe is that she had a great capacity for caring about people.

I have a hate relationship with insta-love so it was hard to read the romance scenes in the book. After first meeting Adrien (after being taken above ground), Zoe kisses him, he tells her he likes her, she requites it and then she loses her memory and goes back underground. Then, she finds out that Max (her classmate) has glitched too and he has discovered “pleasurable” feelings or “the passions” and announces that he loves Zoe (see the problem here?) At the end, Adrien and Zoe love each other even though they’ve only known one another for a month-give or take.

I didn’t love Glitch, but it had pretty good action scenes and I do want to read the second book to see if it gets better. I think that a lot of people might love this book, but it just wasn't for me. Overall, I give this book 2.5 stars.

*Received this book from publisher, does not effect my thoughts/feelings on this book.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, I'm doing some of my commenting rounds and literally JUST closed a window for a Glitch review... only to open another :D The universe is clearly sending me a message about this book... although sadly it doesn't sound like an entirely good one.

    I'm reading similar thoughts all the time for this, which sucks because it sounds SO good. I AM happy to hear the action scenes are good (I'm a sucker for well-written action) and the fact that you will continue to the sequel. I'm really curious to read your thoughts on that when it's released.

    I'll probably still give this a read, but just alter my expectations a bit. Thanks for the fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this book, despite the wide range of reviews that I have seen as of late. I known that not everyone is going to like it, and I'm glad to see that you won't fully give up on the series. Thanks for your POV on the book

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum