Monday, October 1, 2012

Review: The Blessed by Tonya Hurley




 From the author of the New York Times bestselling ghostgirl series, the start to a captivating and haunting teen trilogy about three girls who become entangled with an enigmatic boy—a boy who believes he is a saint.What if martyrs and saints lived among us? And what if you were told you were one of them?

     Meet Agnes, Cecilia, and Lucy. Three lost girls, each searching for something. But what they find is Beyond Belief.

I had really high hopes for The Blessed and am disappointed to say that the book did not live up to them. The characters felt very bland and the story didn’t really have a point (I got half way through the book and still had no idea what it was really about). The guy in this story, Sebastian, was a hot psycho whom the three girls in the book pined for and it all felt very Twilight. I would’ve liked reading more about his story than the girls’ in truth because he was a whole lot more interesting, but the story itself didn’t have much substance (remember this is my opinion, I’m sure that some people loved this book).

Although I didn’t particularly enjoy this book, I’m sure that many others will like the author’s writing and the characters, but if you’re a reader similar to me you might want to save your money and check this book out from the library…or not. 1.5 Stars!

9 comments:

  1. Whoa! I guy thinking he's a saint... I'm Catholic so I kind of drawn to this even if it sounds like what in the olden times would say (heresy). Which means I don't care because it sounds good but crap! you don't like it. Arghh... I hate when I like the summary but it's not backed up by good reviews. This is sooo very different I honestly think I would see for myself how it is. I will take your suggestion and wait for the library to get it.
    She’s Got Books on Her Mind
    New follower (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reviews for this book are some of the most disappointing because I was looking forward to reading it so much. Tonya Hurley is an amazing author. Ghost Girl was tremendous. I thought that this one would be just as great. I will probably still read it, to give it a shot, but at least I will go into it with lowered expectations. The disappointment won't be so bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to read this. Think I may just check it out from the library when I can. Thank you for a great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was a real disappointment because I enjoyed her other books so much. Sigh. Such a pity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I honestly think this is the first book I have ever read a review for that was less than 3 stars. Thank you for saving my time!

    Konstanz Silverbow
    nothoughts2small.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, it's too bad that you didn't like this one! I've heard good things about this one, but if it's like what you said in your review, I probably won't enjoy it. Thanks for the review! (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing. After reading this I now know that I likely shouldn't even bother with this one. I love when reviewers save me money!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the honest review. I had my doubts when I first read the blurb but honestly think our tastes are a little more similar. I'll hold off

    ReplyDelete
  9. This books sounded not too great definitely won't be picking this up anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum