Sunday, December 2, 2012

Review: Ashes of Twilight by Kassy Tayler






Wren MacAvoy works as a coal miner for a domed city that was constructed in the mid-nineteenth century to protect the royal blood line of England when astronomers spotted a comet on a collision course with Earth. Humanity would be saved by the most groundbreaking technology of the time. But after nearly 200 years of life beneath the dome, society has become complacent and the coal is running out.  Plus there are those who wonder, is there life outside the dome or is the world still consumed by fire? When one of Wren's friends escapes the confines of the dome, he is burned alive and put on display as a warning to those seeking to disrupt the dome’s way of life. But Alex’s final words are haunting. “The sky is blue.”  What happens next is a whirlwind of adventure, romance, conspiracy and the struggle to stay alive in a world where nothing is as it seems. Wren unwittingly becomes a catalyst for a revolution that destroys the dome and the only way to survive might be to embrace what the entire society has feared their entire existence.
Ashes of Twilight was everything I wanted it to be-full of action, romance, and underground goodness. Kassy Tayler is a great author and I’m excited to read the second book in the new dystopian trilogy.

The main character Wren is a shiner who lives below with her grandfather. I felt like I could really connect to her character because she was so down to earth and ready to do anything to protect the people she loved. Her love interest was interesting to read about too and I liked how he wasn’t the typical invincible macho man.

There was a bit of insta-love in this novel, but it was surprisingly easy to tolerate. In fact, I actually liked that it went a little fast because the book is so short. I admit that it could’ve been developed over the three books, but the fast relationship leaves drama for the future in. Speaking of drama, there was a lot of death in Ashes of Twilight (which I really liked). Secondary characters die and it’s sad but necessary.

The only thing I didn’t like about the book was the constant repeating of things. For example, the author would always talk about a character’s piercing blue eyes or the home the main character lived in. Other than that, I really enjoyed the book and I think you will too. 4 stars!

2 comments:

  1. Really cool cover and title. I see this book I will be sure to grab it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum