Monday, August 12, 2013

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass




 For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.
But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

I didn’t expect to like this book so much because I’m not really into stuff like The Bachelor, but Kiera Cass knows how to write and keep a reader entertained. I really enjoyed how politics was added to the romantic story line and to be honest, this story isn’t just about romance but about a girl trying to find out how she’s going to live her life.

America was a really down to Earth character I really connected with. She wasn’t too nice of a character and still had her flaws which helped her through the competition. I enjoyed the friendships in this novel and wish the author would’ve gone into more detail or had more dialogue with America and some of the other girls. I admit that I didn’t like the slow beginning of the book, but the author created the world really well and gently touched on the history of the land.

The Selection was a book I should’ve picked up sooner and I cannot wait to read The Elite (buying it at this moment). I’d say this book is a weird twist of futuristic/historical-ness, but I’ll leave that up to you readers.
4.5 Stars!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I've had this book on my TBR pile for a while. I've heard a lot of good things. I have it on hold at the library. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this one though I didn't love-love it. America was a good character and I liked her family connection (though that was really only in the beginning).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this one even though I didn't really expect to either. I actually thought it would be too fluffy but I enjoyed that aspect of it. I need to read The Elite soon. Great review!

    Katie @ Katie’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I connected to America as well and liked more than I expected

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book a ton-though I don't watch The Bachelor, I do enjoy books about reality shows. Prince Maxon was an added bonus for me ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum