Monday, February 28, 2011

Review: The Demon Trapper's Daughter

Book: The Demon Trapper's Daughter by Jana Oliver
Pages: 340 Pages
Release Date: February 1, 2011
Publisher: St. Martins Griffin
Source: Publisher
Find the Author: Web 
Grade: 4 Stars
Synopsis:
Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper, Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps.  The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta’s local Trappers’ Guild needs all the help they can get – even from a girl. When she’s not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley’s out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils – Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life’s about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen.
But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley’s routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood.  And, as if that wasn’t bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers’ Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart – and her life?
My Thoughts:
When I got sent a copy of The Demon Trapper’s Daughter I was ecstatic. The cover was cool and the synopsis sounded interesting. It made me happy that the story inside matched.

I loved the protagonist Riley. She showed a lot of girl power being the only girl trapper and all. I liked how she didn’t let anybody or anything get her down and she tried her hardest. I felt myself wanting to be her. The other characters were marvelous as well. I kind of got a crush on Simon (Riley’s love interest) while reading the book. I also fell a little for Beck because he was so cute caring for Riley.

This book was simple and interesting. The demonology sounded realistic and I liked how Jana put angels in the book too. They weren’t big in the story which I really liked because it’s called The Demon Trapper’s Daughter for a reason.

Since this book is third person omniscient, I got confused when it switched between talking about Riley and Beck. I really would’ve liked it to stay with Riley, but seeing Beck’s thoughts was interesting too. I also didn’t like Beck’s accent. I mean it’s cool how the author did that but it messed up my speech a little using “yer” and other cow poke words.

All in all, this book is a ride that is sure to have you thinking about it days after. I can’t wait to read the second!

Grade: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum