Thursday, August 12, 2010

Book Review One: Crank By: Ellen Hopkins

Synopsis:
Kristina Georgia Snow is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. But on a trip to visit her absentee father, Kristina disappears and Bree takes her place. Bree is the exact opposite of Kristina -- she's fearless.

Through a boy, Bree meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild, ecstatic ride turns into a struggle through hell for her mind, her soul -- her life.
My Review:
I got this book last week at Barnes and Noble. When I saw it on the shelves, I thought, "Yippie! Another book about druggies." but then, I read the back and the first page and realized that it would be different from the usual addiction plot.

The book layout was pretty cool and I have to admit, I hate poetry, but I really liked Ellen Hopkins poetic awesomeness. The main character, Kristina/Bree, was quite annoying to me. I hated how she would just let "Bree" and the "monster" take over her life. She's not a very strong person, but at least she's not perfect like some characters in books.

Some other things I didn't like are that Kristina went out with two guys-Brenden and Chase-in the book and she got burned by one of them. Rawr. Also, Hopkins basically had every new person that Kristina met into drugs. Her boyfriends were all addicted, her "friend" was addicted, who wasn't addicted?

All in all this was a really good read, but I don't recommend it if you don't like dark books. Ellen Hopkins sure knows how to use her words wisely. Go ahead and buy this book if you like dark stories!  
Grade: 5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum