Saturday, March 19, 2011

Review: Dark Mirror

Book: Dark Mirror by M.J. Putney
Pages: 306 Pages
Release Date: March 1st, 2011
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Source: Publisher
Grade: High 3.5 Stars
Synopsis:
Lady Victoria Mansfield, youngest daughter of the earl and countess of Fairmount, is destined for a charmed life. Soon she will be presented during the London season, where she can choose a mate worthy of her status. 
Yet Tory has a shameful secret—a secret so powerful that, if exposed, it could strip her of her position and disgrace her family forever. Tory’s blood is tainted . . . by magic.
When a shocking accident forces Tory to demonstrate her despised skill, the secret she’s fought so hard to hide is revealed for all to see. She is immediately exiled to Lackland Abbey, a reform school for young men and women in her position. There she will learn to suppress her deplorable talents and maybe, if she’s one of the lucky ones, be able to return to society.
But Tory’s life is about to change forever. All that she’s ever known or considered important will be challenged. What lies ahead is only the beginning of a strange and wonderful journey into a world where destiny and magic come together, where true love and friendship find her, and where courage and strength of character are the only things that determine a young girl’s worth.

My Thoughts:
M.J. Putney is a really good historical fiction writer and I have to say that this is one of the few his fics I have really liked.

Tory was a great MC. I liked how she wanted to fit in but she also had that nagging feeling that kept saying she shouldn’t give up her magic. I felt connected with her more than anyone else because her choices were the ones I would make too. Her friends and love interests were great too, but I didn’t like how her relationship with Allarde seemed so rushed. When they first met, they had this instant connection, but shied away from it and then all of a sudden….BAM! Instant love! I liked her and Jack together better because Tory and him had more conversations and seemed to have a connection too. I suppose there will be a love triangle?

The history told in this book astounded me. I loved how I could tell that the author did a lot of research about the 1800’s and the 1940’s. I also liked the way she wrote about the time periods. I was living in Europe in the 1800’s with Tory when I read Dark Mirror. I really wanted to know more about the mirror. It seemed like a big part of the story, but again the rushed romance felt bigger than it which made me kind of sad.

Overall, I really enjoyed Dark Mirror and I look forward to reading Dark Passage.

Grade: High 3.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum