Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Review: The Magnolia League by Katie Crouch

Book: The Magnolia League by Katie Crouch
Pages: 368 Pages
Publisher: Poppy
Release Date: May 3rd, 2011
Source: Hip Scouts (Little Brown Publishing)
Grade: 4 Stars
Synopsis:
After the death of her free-spirited mother, sixteen-year-old Alex Lee must leave her home in northern California to live with her wealthy grandmother in Savannah, Georgia. By birth, Alex is a rightful, if unwilling, member of the Magnolia League, Savannah's long-standing debutante society. She quickly discovers that the Magnolias have made a pact with a legendary hoodoo family, the Buzzards. The Magnolias enjoy youth, beauty and power. But at what price?
My Thoughts:
I really didn’t know exactly what The Magnolia League was going to be about, but it certainly did not disappoint.

The one thing that stood out the most to me in this story of debutantes (in a good way) was the magic involved. The MGs (Magnolia Girls) were obsessed with it and had to use it all the time, but instead of them not having consequences for using these spells, they had a big one: if they leave Savannah, Georgia, they die. 

When Alex Lee comes to town after the death of her mother, she doesn’t know anything about the Magnolias, just that they’re rich and stuck-up.
 Alex was a good character in this book. At times I wanted to rip my hair out when she was dealing with boys but most times, I cheered her on. My favorite thing about her was that she never let anything get in her way. She disobeyed her grandmother a lot to find stuff out about her mother and The Magnolia League. Some people might call that a rebellious teen, but I say that that’s normal.

One thing I didn’t get about The Magnolia League was her relationship with Thaddeus. She said she wanted to take it slow and that he didn’t know anything about her and yet at the end, she says she loves him. Their relationship seemed a bit flat at some times.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. Katie Crouch is a fantastic writer and I can’t wait to see some more of her young adult novels in the future.
Grade: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum