Monday, March 28, 2011

Review: Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens

Book: Overprotected by Jennifer Laurens
Release Date: February 14, 2011
Publisher: Grove Creek Publishing
Source: Teen Book Scene
Grade: 4 Stars
Synopsis:
Ashlyn: A lonely society princess living in NewYork City.
Daddy hired you to be my bodyguard.
Colin: Childhood enemy, now her protector.
Daddy thought I'd be safe. He thought I'd never fall in love. He thought he could keep me forever.
Charles: obsessed with keeping her safe, keeping her his, he hires the one person he knows she could never fall in love with: Colin.
Daddy was wrong.
My Thoughts:
Jennifer Lauren’s writing has come to shine in this novel. Contemporary is definitely her style.

Ashlyn was a great main character and I felt bad for her because her family was so messed up and her dad was so controlling and “overprotecting”. I liked how she was a really good musician and she wasn’t just some stereotypical dumb blond.  Colin was a great character too. He was the good body guard and l liked how he had some mystery to him, but it wasn’t blown over the top like it would be in other books.

Ashlyn and Colin’s relationship didn’t really make sense to me. She hates him and yet all she does is think about his eyes and hair and what not. There were sweet parts of their romance though. For example, my favorite part was when Ashlyn was playing the piano and then Colin came in and sat next to her. So sweet.

There are a few other things I didn’t like about the book either though. I can’t say that I loved the writing. At times it felt like Jennifer Laurens was describing everything too much and then too little. Also, some of the events that happened didn’t seem realistic like Ashlyn’s old body guard falling in love with her and then her just blowing it off.

I really liked this book and I’m glad I read it. This is one that I kept reading until I couldn’t anymore.
Grade: 4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum