Monday, August 8, 2011

Review: From Bad to Cursed by Katie Alender

Book: From Bad To Cursed by Katie Alender
Pages: 448 Pages
Release Date: June 14th, 2011
Publisher: Hyperion
Source: Publisher
Synopsis:
Alexis is the last girl you'd expect to sell her soul for beauty and popularity. After all, she already has everything she needs--an adorable boyfriend, the perfect best friend, and a family that finally seems to be healing after her sister Kasey's unfortunate possession by an evil spirit. But then Kasey tells Alexis about the mysterious new club she has joined, and the oath she has taken to someone named Aralt. Worried that Kasey's gotten in over her head again, Alexis and her best friend Megan decide to investigate by joining the Sunshine Club, too. At first, their connection with Aralt seems harmless. Alexis tries a new -- normal-- look, and finds herself reveling in her elegance and success.
Still, despite the Sunshine Club's outward perfection, the group is crumbling from within, and soon Alexis finds herself battling her own personal demons. She can hardly even remember why she joined in the first place. Surely it wasn't to destroy Aralt...why would she hurt someone who has given her so much, and asked for so little in return?
My Thoughts:

Then we were moving together-not quite in formation, but in a well-defined group, an army of the prettiest, brightest, best girls. We came around the side of the bleachers like a school of sharks: glamorous and dangerous and sleek, stepping in time to a beat only we could hear. The hum in the stands dipped slightly as people noticed us, admired us, wished they could be like us. I soaked it in. My hair was perfect, my clothes were perfect, my best friend and my sister walked perfectly at my side. Everything was perfect, and I was right in the center of it all. The thought was in my head before I could stop it: I would rather die than give this up.

I remember reading Bad Girl’s Don’t Die and loving it so I was really excited to get From Bad To Cursed. I was not disappointed at all.

The second book may not be as scary as the first, but it still gave me the creeps while reading. The whole perfect sisterhood thing is pretty freaky. I would relate it to The Stepford Wives except without all the robotism.

To me, Kasey was the hero in this book. After coming back home from being in a mental hospital for almost a year, her family is wary about trusting her, but she still manages to help her sister Alexis out of sticky situations. That brings me to Alexis. In the second book, she doesn’t act as responsibly as she does in the first. Personally, I think that she was a bit dumb (in this book), she doesn’t really talk to her boyfriend that much which I get because of the sunshine club, but still. Does she was to lose her boyfriend?

I really like the cover, it’s creepy and it somewhat shows what’s inside the book (that being something creepy). At first, the book did come a little slow, but when the sunshine club started, I kept reading for hours until the end. I can’t wait til Katie Alender’s next book comes out!

2 comments:

  1. I thought this novel was creepy in a completely different way. Watching Alexis lose what I loved about her in the first novel really was sad. Like you, I thought Kasey was definitely a hero in this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a really good page turner! I can't wait to start reading the next one in the series!
    suggested Divorce Lawyer Dallas Information

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum