Thursday, August 2, 2012

Review: Rift by Andrea Cremer

Sixteen-year-old Ember Morrow is promised to a group called Conatus after one of their healers saves her mother's life. Once she arrives, Ember finds joy in wielding swords, learning magic, and fighting the encroaching darkness loose in the world. She also finds herself falling in love with her mentor, the dashing, brooding, and powerful Barrow Hess. When the knights realize Eira, one of their leaders, is dabbling in dark magic, Ember and Barrow must choose whether to follow Eira into the nether realm or to pledge their lives to destroying her and her kind.


I really enjoyed Andrea Cremer’s Nightshade series so when I heard there was going to be a prequel, I jumped around giddily. Rift was an amazing book and I think I even liked more than the Nightshade series.

I felt like I was living in the 1400’s with Ember because the setting was so real. The language was pretty true to heart but yet easy to understand. Ember was a great female protagonist and totally kick-butt. She was true to herself and followed her heart to become who she wanted to be. Ember is officially one of my favorite female characters.

The action in this book was plentiful and I loved reading them because they were real and sometimes gory. I wish there would’ve been more magic and dark creatures because I loved learning about them; I hope Andrea Cremer puts more information in book two.

Another reason I really enjoyed Rift is because of the romance. It was very subtle and there was yet wasn’t a love triangle. The relationship between Ember and Barrow was well-paced easy to read about. I LOVED Barrow…and I think that everyone who reads this book will love him too.

Rift reminded me of Angelfire because both the main characters wielded cool weapons and had hotties helping them fight. I think that readers of Angelfire and Cremer’s previous series will really enjoy Rift because it’s action packed, has a great romance in it, and will make you want more. 5 Stars!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read any of the author's books. But I might try Rift. It sounds great! ANd that cover? Looks promising! Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum