Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Book Review Two: Speak By Laurie Halse Anderson

Title: Speak
Author: Laurie Halse Anderson
Pages: 198
Synopsis:
Melinda Sordino busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops. Now her old friends won't talk to her, and people she doesn't even know hate her from a distance. The safest place to be is alone, inside her own head. But even that's not safe. Because there's something she's trying not to think about, something about the night of the party that, if she let it in, would blow her carefully constructed disguise to smithereens. And then she would have to speak the truth.

Review:
I learned about this book by watching the movie first (dumb, I know) and I really liked it. That's when a friend told me about the book and since I'm a book lover, I'm all like, "Oh, cool! Book!". So I went to the library TODAY and finished it TODAY.
Melinda was a nice character that I could somewhat relate too (even though I have not been raped). She's the quite girl who wants to fit in but doesn't really try hard enough. I liked how Laurie made her friends or ex-friends all quite different. It made me feel more related to Melinda.
I thought that the setting was pretty good too. The high school seemed like a regular high school that some teenagers could relate to and say, "Yep, that's how my high school is." It didn't feel like Laurie Anderson tried too hard.
One thing I was disappointed with this book is the end. The author didn't say ANYthing at all about what happened to Melinda after (spoiler alert, scroll over to read) Andy kind of attacked her. In the movie it was totally different and actually cleared it up a bit. I think I liked the movie better than the book (which is really rare for me). All in all the book was really good-except the ending-and I'll definitely be reading more of Anderson's work. Grade: A-

-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum