Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Review: Happyface

Book: Happyface by Stephen Emond
Pages:320 Pages
Publisher: Little, Brown
Date Released: March 1, 2010
Source: Won
Grade: A
Synopsis:
Enter Happyface's journal and get a peek into the life of a shy, artistic boy who decides to reinvent himself as a happy-go-lucky guy after he moves to a new town. See the world through his hilariously self-deprecating eyes as he learns to shed his comic-book-loving, computer-game playing ways. Join him as he makes new friends, tries to hide from his past, and ultimately learns to face the world with a genuine smile. With a fresh and funny combination of text and fully integrated art, Happyface is an original storytelling experience.
My Thoughts: 
I smiled when I read this book. It’s funny, cute, and I can totally relate to Happyface. My favorite part about the book was that I was actually reading his “diary” and all the pages had little doodles and stuff on it.  I loved how I could see in the things that he wrote that he was a geeky class clown. I could almost actually say that I knew everything about Happyface because of the things he drew and the way he said things.
Okay, I loved Happyface. I could relate to him a lot because he’s just that awkward geeky teenage boy and I’m an awkward teenage girl (Happyface and I should totally get married someday..jk). Gretchen was also a pretty cool character. I liked how she was described as the pretty nerd girl with glasses and yet she was one of the most popular girls in school. She’s strong, doesn’t care what people think about her, and I could tell that she really liked Happyface (unless he exaggerated a little in his writing).
Stephen Emond is a super cool writer and I can’t wait to get his other books. I hope he writes more in this genre, because seriously? Everyone needs a laugh sometime in their life. Plus, have you seen that cover? It is sublime! 5 stars for this book!
Writing: 10/10
Setting: 9/10
Characters: 9/10
Plot: 10/10
Cover: 10/10
Ending: 4/5
52/55= 94% A

1 comment:

  1. I have this book and I need to read it. I am really trying to read books with a male lead written by a male. NOT so easy to find these days....

    Thx for the review...I'm an old follower.

    Jen @ I Read Banned Books

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like bananas:) yum yum yum